There is a busy Craft Market, Farmers Market and General Market every week. Ely sits in the ancient Fen country with fantastic walks and views.
The famous university city of Cambridge is 13 minutes by train.
Type of Programme
One-to-One, personalised English tuition living full-board with the tutor's own family and in the tutor's own home, including local visits and excursions, meeting friends, neighbours and professional colleagues etc.
Type of House: Town House - United Kingdom
Teaching Qualifications and Experience
My qualification is CELTA. I have had over 40 Homestay pupils during the past 8 years. The youngest was 13 years old and the oldest was 65 years old. Their language knowledge ranged from pre-elementary to upper Intermediate. Some required intensive lessons concentrating on grammar, others wanted to chat and sightsee! Nationalities were Russian, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese, Czech, Slovakian and Portuguese.
I have been lucky enough to visit some of my students, two of whom live in Japan, and I have remained in touch with many others.
Hobbies and Interests
Being fit I like walking, swimming and yoga. Also I belong to the cinema club, history association, the library. There is a strong Meetup presence in Ely and it will be easy for students to meet local people of their own age to visit the pubs and night clubs. Buses and trains run to Cambridge
Charming light bedroom with a very comfy bed and electric blanket, desk and chair, wifi and space for clothes. The bedroom is at the back of the house and is quiet, the birdsong welcomes you .
Excursions and Local Attractions
1. A walk around Ely, and the River Ouse. Visit Ely Cathedral elycathedral.org
2. Visit Waterside Antiques - three floors of fascinating momentoes watersideantiques.co.uk
lunch then visitely.eastcambs.gov.uk/attractions/ely-country-park
3 Wimpole Hall - stunning National Trust property - great cafe for lunch
4. Guided walking tour of Cambridge, including the Fitzwilliam Museum and guided punting on the river.
5. Oliver Cromwell's House is a house in Ely This was the family home of Oliver Cromwell, the Lord Protector of England in 17th century. The kitchen dates from around 1215, other parts being built later
6. Wicken Fen Nature Reserve - possibly a boat trip to see the wildlife and the bird life, wonderful walks and views, and huge skies.
7. Tattersalls in Newmarket is famous for its Sales of the finest racehorses, and Newmarket is famous for breeding racehorses, and racing. It is 20 minutes from
This is a fascinating area.