Terramare in Orbetello Founded in 1986 and run by a cooperative of teachers, the language school Terramare offers a unique opportunity for those who want to learn Italian in the lovely lagoon town Orbetello in Tuscany. By offering close contact with the routine life of the town students are given many opportunities to hear and use every day Italian. The courses guarantee full immersion in Italian culture and nature.
The Italian language center Terramare is specialized in teaching Italian language and culture to students from all over the world for more than 20 years. The school is located in the seaside town Orbetello in Tuscany, a place surrounded by natural reserves. The school team is highly motivated to offer not just language courses but to enable the students to experience the Italian life and culture; therefore the lessons in small groups of not more than six students are not limited to the classroom but enriched by many activities that take place in the afternoon. For those with special interests the school offers courses of language and sport, architecture, cuisine or culture. It is the close contact with the life in town and the strong focus on communication and interaction small groups that enable the participants to make fast progress by combining the language learnt in class with the practical use in everyday life. Learn more..
- Standard group course
- CILS-preparation course
- Combined intensive course
- Language, art and archeology
- Language, nature and sport
- Language, cuisine and the wine trail
EXTRAORDINARY PRACTICAL LANGUAGE COURSES
- The language of travelling – Educational journey through four Italian regions
- From creating to speaking
- The economical correlation between the lagoon and the sea
- Archeology from the Etruscans & Romans to the Middle Age & Renaissance
- Wine gastronomy in the Maremma
- Christmas in Italian
Certificates and Diplomas
In collaboration with the University for foreign students of Siena we organize CILS exam preparation courses. This certificate of Italian as foreign language is issued by the University of Siena and recognized by the Italian Foreign Office. It is possible to choose a group or an individual course to get ready for this internationally recognized exam.
The teaching method of Terramare is focused on the individual student. The student’s immersion in everyday Italian life transforms their language learning experience into a real cultural experience and enhances their language learning with communicative competence.
The method of teaching is centred on the individual student and is based on interactive activities in the classroom and group activities outside. The course includes many cultural trips to local places of archaeological, artistic and historical interest. Classes are always small with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 students.
Social and Cultural Activities
Apart from the special courses that contain a wide range of cultural activities, the school also organizes three free time activities per week like cultural meetings or trips to local places of natural or historical interest that are included in the price of all courses. These activities enable students to explore the Italian way of life, cuisine, traditions, cultural events and places of interest.
Students can choose among various accommodation types for their stay in Orbetello. The school team can help in finding the right place to stay and reserve it free of charge. Payment for the accommodation should be made directly to the private host, family or hotel.
The following types of accommodation are available:
- private rooms in apartments with Italians or other students;
- apartment or house in town;
- apartment or cottage at the sea;
- room, house or cottage in the country;
- rent or caravan site on the camp ground;
- bungalow on the camp ground.
Excursions and Visits
Terramare offers a wide range of visits in the afternoons and on the weekends, for example
- cinema and theatre;
- Italian literature and song;
- trips by boat around the Marine Nature Reserve and the islands off the Tuscan coast;
- trips by bike or on foot into the local nature reserves and parks;
- guided visits to museums, monuments historical towns, Etruscan and Roman archaeological sites and the " Tarot Garden " with its works of modern art by Nike de Saint Phalle.
Visit the school's website Or